Cabin Mold – Do you have a Lake Home, Lake Cottage, or Cabin? Is Mold a Concern?
Spring is here and this is the time of year when people start to open up their lake cottages, homes or cabins. If your lake home, lake cottage or cabin was closed properly and free from damage or moisture, opening up for the summer season is a joyful experience. However, if any of the aforementioned items were not handled properly you may have a mold issue you walk into. Many lake home owners are accustomed to a musty or mildew smell when they open the home in the spring or even each weekend. That smell is an indication of mold growth. Protecting your cabin, lake home or cottage in Wisconsin from mold is a priority.
So Why Did Mold Grow in My Lake Home, Cottage, or Cabin?
Mold is everywhere…it is a living organism. In order for mold to grow it needs moisture and a food source. Both are easily found in homes, cottages and cabins near the water. Because the properties are near a water source, there is more moisture in the ground and in the air. If this excess moisture is not controlled, mold will easily start to grow.
Many times lake homes, cottages and cabins are closed tight for the winter or during the week. With no air circulation, the excess moisture does not dry out. Air circulation and proper ventilation help control the moisture level. A good tip for home owners is to keep interior doors open, even doors on the closets and pantries if the home will not be occupied for some time.
Another reason you may have mold is a mechanical malfunction or damage that may have occurred during the time frame in which the lake home was closed. Did the roof sustain damage during a storm causing a leak? If mechanicals were running during the unoccupied time frame did one malfunction leaving moisture in the home?
What to Do Now with the Mold Issue?
Again, protecting your cabin, lake home or cottage in Wisconsin from mold is a priority. First, find the source of the extra moisture. If this is a new issue that you have not encountered before, start with the mechanicals in the home. Next check your roof and foundation for cracks and leaks. What ever is causing the excess moisture needs to be fixed immediately. Once the source is fixed, mold removal and remediation can begin.
If the mold goes further then a light cleanup and is embedded into the materials of the home and woodwork, it’s time to call in the professionals. If it is a light cleanup do not use bleach to clean mold. Bleach can actually spread mold. Use a mold cleaner from your local home improvement store.
How Can I Prevent Mold Growth in My Cabin, Lake Home or Lake Cottage?
If mildew and musty smells are common each spring, you might want to consider running a small fan throughout the winter or during the week. Air movement reduces mold growth. Dehumidifier’s are also a good option to remove the excess moisture and many of them have fans for circulating air. Another preventive measure is to spray an anti-microbial barrier on everything in the cabin before closing it up in the fall. You can purchase a mold inhibitor or cleaner at your local home improvement store and use a simple garden sprayer to apply. Spraying your cabin with this will make the surfaces unfriendly to mold growth.** You should also periodically inspect your cabin to catch any damage before it becomes too large of an issue.
At CCS Property Services we understand mold. If you are concerned with the mold in your lake home, cottage or cabin, give us a call at 920.435.2288. Our technicians will be happy to remove and remediate any mold in your vacation property. We can also spray your home in the fall if you are uncomfortable doing this type of work yourself. Protecting your cabin, lake home or cottage in Wisconsin from mold is a priority for you, your family, your pets, and your friends.
**Most anti-microbials you will purchase are non-toxic. Read the labels carefully before applying.**